Do you have a Facebook page? Here’s some late breaking news from Facebook that you need to know!
It’s now easier (and cheaper) to have promotions and contests on your page. Facebook announced this week that it has updated their page rules in order to make it easier for businesses of all sizes to create and administer promotions on Facebook. Here’s what Page administrators need to know:
The requirement that promotions on Facebook only be administered through apps has been removed. Now you can run promotions (contests, sweepstakes, competitions or drawings) on your PAGE without a third party app. Before this announcement, the use of a third party app was required. The apps charged for the service, now you can do it for free right on your Facebook page!
Here’s what that means:
You can now run promotions (contests, sweepstakes, competitions or drawings) on your PAGE wall and/or via a third party app on Facebook. Pages can:
* collect entries via users (fans and non-fans) posting on the Page wall
* collect entries by users commenting or liking on a Page post
* collect entries by having users message the Page
* collect votes via likes (new fans, post likes)
Two rules come with this change you need to be aware of:
- Pages need to comply with accurate tagging of images. Pages cannot ask users to tag themselves in any images in order to enter contests. Facebook wants us to use photo tags for when we’re actually in the photo/image. Improper tagging is not only spammy and makes the tagger look unprofessional and ignorant – it’s against the rules! (Makes sense)
- As before, however, businesses cannot administer promotions on personal Timelines. One MORE reason to NOT use a personal profile for your business or organization. 😉
So why is this important to anyone with a Facebook page (“Like” page, not a personal timeline)? Ever hear the old business saying, “it’s amazing what someone will do for a free t-shirt”? Contests and promotions are an amazingly efficient and simple way to draw attention where you want it. It’s also a ton of fun for both those participating (page fans and others) AND the page administrators.
What is the benefit for you, your page and your business or organization? Think about it, it will draw attention to whatever you want to draw attention to. We all know that if you have the BEST product or service but no one knows about it – it isn’t helping others OR you, right?! Well, this is a way to fix that!
Remember, the best thing to do is experiment with Facebook Contests and promotions. After all, each business and organization is different. You need to find what YOUR niche market responds to best. Here are some general Facebook best practice tips:
- Post promotions that are tied to your business objectives. Use promotions to build awareness for a new product, promote the opening of a new location, sell inventory, or advance other business objectives
- Make promotions compelling. Promotions offering significant upside to people who enter are more likely to encourage engagement and generate buzz
- Creative best practices on Facebook still apply—compelling text and images that are in the brand voice tend to get better response and engagement rates
- Amplify your promotions. Create Promoted Posts or ads for your Page post to broaden the reach of your promotion
Now for all of you cynics out there, we even found out why the sudden and drastic change. Right from the source! First, from the official Facebook Promotion Guideline (click here to download it):
“We want to make it easier for businesses of all sizes to create and administer promotions on Facebook, and to align our policies to better meet the needs of marketers.”
And this answer is directly from a Facebook spokesperson via AllFacebook.com:
“This capability makes it even easier for smaller businesses to help build awareness for a new product, promote the opening of a new location, sell inventory, or advance other business objectives. Say, for instance, a local pizza parlor wants to give away free pizza for a month to the 100th person to like its post. Now the business can do this right on its page (and increase awareness of the post via promoted posts) without needing to work with a third-party to build an app.”
When it comes to promoting you, your product / service, your company or organization, it’s true what you’ve heard before – you are only limited by your imagination (and lack of understanding).
Want to know if you can get more benefit from the time and energy you invest online? Or want to understand more of what is out there in the online world that will help you reach your goals? We can help! Schedule your free, no obligation 30 minutes eMarketing Consultation today!
Read More about Facebook’s announcement here: